Saturday, July 25, 2009

Flu in the H1n1 world...

I've just gotten sick. Sore throat, runny nose, blocked ear, fever... the whole sha-bang.

Naturally the first thought was... SWINE FLU! Then I dismissed it with the infallible reasoning.. that can't happen to me!

I went to the neighbourhood doctors' and found it fully packed with 15 people ahead of me in the queue. Being a lazy pig normally, couple that with being unwell, I found a seat and just planted my fat ass there.

An hour and a half later, I finally got my turn to talk to the elusive doctor.

So the doc did the usual, he checked my temp, he looked into my ear, he looked into my throat, he listened to my breathing, then he started scribbling on his notepad.

THEN, he crossed out a medicine he had written down and wrote another one down.
FOLLOWED BY, crossing out another medicine and writing a different one down.

By that time, I was severely perplexed.

Finally, he looked up and said,
"You have very. very slight wheezing in your right lung and that's a symptom of influenza, i.e. swine flu. So we need to be careful."

So much for my initial infallible reasoning.

Eventually, he let me go with some medicines and advised that I should return if I still had a fever in three days.

Well.. my fever cleared after taking the first tablets after lunch.... I THINK (see previous post).
Just kidding, I used my thermometer. I even read the instructions on where under my tongue I should place the thermometer.

But naturally, I sat down and thought about how many people I could have affected unknowingly if I really had swine flu:
  • The people at home (who are all healthy at the moment)
  • The people in my office, let's just limit it to the people on my floor.. so around 50?
  • The people in my MRT carriage... I normally take it to work, so let's say, 100 per trip? So assuming 4 trips, 400.
  • The people I pass when I go and buy lunch/walk home. Let's place that at a conservative 50.
That's at least 500 people.
These 500 people would meet other people.

Wah...

Then again, I hope people are aware that h1n1 is like any other flu and most people can recover from it without any medication.

Please don't ostracise me!

No comments:

Post a Comment